Saturday, August 2, 2008

RELAY FOR LIFE!!!!!



I had the honor to be a part of the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life August 1-2. It was a 15 hour event and I shared the experience with my co-workers from the hospital. Our team is called the "Franciscan Skemp Freedom Fighters." The first lap around the track is done by cancer survivors, as you can see above.


You could purchase luminaries in honor of someone who has survived cancer, or to honor someone who died from cancer. I bought an honor luminary for Ben's Grandpa Les, and a memorial light for Ben's Grandpa Harry, Dad, and my Uncle Marvin.


Ben, Karis and Ben's mom joined us for a few hours. Karis wanted to run with me at my "all night walking party to fight cancer." There was lots of entertainment, including cloggers, a big band, and belly dancers. There were theme walking hours, such as "Dude Looks Like a Lady," where guys dressed like girls.


Later in the evening, they read off all of the names during the luminary ceremony. This is picture of just part of the track. It was a very serene experience. The lights were around the inside and outside of the track.

Here are a few of my co-workers... Sue the dietician (we share an office), Marlene, and Kathy, who are both nurses. Sue and Kathy put a lot of work into this event for our team. What a wonderful night.

No comments: